Robert McKeown Company provides a range of high-quality, high-performance materials for electronics applications, including thermal interface materials (TIM). These materials are critical elements of thermal management systems. They facilitate the transfer of heat between two or more solid surfaces to prevent overheating and other excessive heat-related issues. They work by filling in the spaces between rough surfaces where small pockets of air can form and prevent heat from dissipating.
There are many types of thermal interface materials, each of which has unique characteristics that make it suitable for particular applications. The TIM products available at Robert McKeown are:
- Gap filling thermal interface: Gap filling thermal interface materials are engineered to deform gaps to resolve compliancy or flatness problems while ensuring efficient heat transfer. They absorb gaps without producing a large amount of stress.
- Thin interface thermal insulators: Thin interface thermal insulators have a highly thin form that still offers good thermal, electrical, and mechanical properties.
- Thermally conductive double-coated attachment tapes: Thermally conductive, double-coated attachment tapes serve as an easy to apply and use thermal management solutions.
- Phase change thermal interface: Phase change thermal interface materials are solid at room temperature and soften at operating temperature, which makes them easy to apply. They conform to surfaces with light pressure and are non-electrically conductive.
Thermal interface materials are essential for thermal management in many industries. Typical applications include:
- Electronics packaging: As electronic assemblies become increasingly compact and processing bandwidth increases, thermal energy also escalates and becomes more challenging to manage. TIMs are key to resolving these issues; in electronics packaging, they facilitate heat transfer by improving contact between surfaces.
- Household appliances: Home appliances contain many heat-producing components that require effective and efficient thermal dissipation solutions to ensure long operating lives. TIMs are used to fill the gaps between these components and heat sinks to decrease internal temperatures.
- Lighting technology: LED lighting technology uses both electrically conductive and nonconductive TIMs to dissipate heat from system areas where excessive temperatures could lead to failure.
- Medical technology: Thermal interface materials are found in various electronic components and systems used for medical imaging and other medical electronics applications. Some examples of heat sources in medical electronics that require TIMs include microprocessors, power supplies, CT scanner components, surgical laser systems, DC-DC converters, and more.
- Industrial automation: Semiconductors are integral components of automation equipment. Since excessive heat can damage them, leading to reduced lifespan or unexpected failure, incorporating proper thermal management materials is vital.
Many electronic devices and systems contain thermally sensitive components that are critical to their operation. Since these products naturally produce and gather heat during use, it is essential to establish and implement thermal management solutions to prevent excessive temperatures.
At Robert McKeown, we offer a broad selection of thermal interface materials that help resolve issues with overheating, ensuring the reliability and longevity of electronic products. Our experts can assist you in identifying and sourcing the ideal material for your application. To learn more about our products, contact us today. Request a quote to get started on your thermal interface material solution.